Cairo can be used as the 'only' graphics system, only no-one has done so yet. One currently needs SDL, Gtk+ or something to bind keyboard & mouse into the picture, but i.e. SDL + Cairo with vector based widget library would seem a very 100% Cairo only GUI.

Application-wise, it would all be done in Lua. This concept is just a concept, and will demand a serious amount of work to be pulled through. Properly done, it could be 'the' thing to get Lua recognized more thoroughly in the industry. I'm still waiting for the job position, where people would actually have heard of the language before I open my mouth! ;)

The closest I've seen the concept presented anywhere is the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy user interface (in the movie). That one was done in Flash:

http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/
take --> Characters -> Guide -> Don't Panic

-asko

(this is becoming a bit out of Lua, so let's tune it down or reply privately?)