Thomas -

the shortcomings you are presenting, both what comes to LFS makefiles, the lack of a decent debugger, and the lack of a CPAN-kind module dispatch system, are acknowledged. At least I do share those needs, and there is light at the horizon. Actually, all these needs really tie together and should be answered at once. Hopefully, in 2007.

Unfortunately, earlier efforts s.a. LuaCheia are currently R.I.P. and due to the Lua 5.1 built-in module handling system (sans CPAN-like dispatch) those efforts are probably never revitalised. They need not, either. Look for LuaRocks on the net, and mail list archives to get up-par on the plans (if only the plans...).

-asko