Hi,

in "Programmieren mit Lua« (German version of PLI2) is written that
Lua doesn't provide a debugger, but a library to write one's own
debugger. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody has already done it. I'm
looking for a simple CLI debugger similiar to perl -d, i.e.: for
setting breakpoints, continuing, inspecting variables a.s.o. No IDE so
far, please (maybe later, first I prefer using my favorite Editor GNU
Emacs). RemDebug seems to have the user interface that I'm looking
for, but:

- I don't yet need *remote* debugging (maybe later?). Will that make
  it too complicated to start with?

- RemDebug depends on several packages, LuaFileSystem 1.2 being among
  them, that I cannot build:

  make
  gcc -O2 -Wall -fPIC -W -Waggregate-return -Wcast-align -Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Wshadow -Wwrite-strings -I/usr/local/include -I../compat/src   -c -o src/lfs.o src/lfs.c
  src/lfs.c:39:17: error: lua.h: No such file or directory

  Why? I've installed these Ubuntu Packages:

  cgilua           5.0.1-1
  liblua5.1-0      5.1-1
  liblua5.1-0-dev  5.1-1
  liblua5.1-dev    <keine>
  liblua50         5.0.2-5ubuntu1
  liblua50-dev     5.0.2-5ubuntu1
  liblualib50      5.0.2-5ubuntu1
  liblualib50-dev  5.0.2-5ubuntu1
  lua              <keine>
  lua-mode         1.74-1
  lua5.1           5.1-1
  lua5.1-doc       5.1-1
  lua50            5.0.2-5ubuntu1
  luasocket        2.0-alpha-2
  luasocket-dev    2.0-alpha-2

  What's missing?

  Currently /usr/bin/lua symlinks to lua5.1. Shell I keep trying to
  use v5.1? Or shall I better go back to v5.0?

Regards
  Thomas