On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 11:32:48AM -0400, Aaron Brown wrote:
> Glenn Maynard wrote:
>
> > It doesn't help much to note deprecated features in a
> > reference manual, since few people read those front to
> > back.
>
> One would at least expect anybody coming from Lua 4 to read
> the "Incompatibilities with version 4.0" section.
>
> I wonder how many people learned about this syntax
> accidentally rather than from Lua 4 (or in the
> aforementioned section)?

I learned it from reading code, which I think is the most usual and
effective way of learning a language (but certainly isn't "accidental",
though I'm not sure what that means).  I never used 4.0.

I guess this case is impossible to detect at compile-time, though.  That
seems to be a common problem with Lua; I suppose any warning facility
would need to be runtime.  Yuck.

--
Glenn Maynard