AFAIK tolua is discontinued, you have to use tolua++. You can find an example of use here: http://doris.sf.net/ . You might also want to look at LuaBind. This will be slightly more complicated to set up (templates a la Boost.Python style). Or, if you are only binding a few functions/objects I'd suggest doing it by hand as it's a lot less hassle.

In summary: For a large, established API auto generate binding with tolua++. For smaller API: bind by hand with LuaBind or Lua C API.

Nick