PA <petite.abeille@gmail.com> wrote:
(25/02/2005 10:45)

>The manual itself is much less useful, but has the merit of existing in
>the first place:
>
>http://www.lua.org/manual/5.0/
>
>The wiki has some handy resources as well:
>
>http://lua-users.org/wiki/SampleCode
>http://lua-users.org/wiki/PersistentTables
>http://lua-users.org/wiki/StandardLibraries
>
>That said, the wiki is pretty much opaque at first glance, as there is
>no search function to start with... very frustrating :/

But Google does. >:)
I like that manual. It's tough as an old boot, and I do lapse and forget things I ought not, but to me, knowing it's all there on one page is one of the best things. Apart from the elegance I noted in the few things I do know of Lua (mentioned in other reply here), I love the fact that one page holds all. So long as it continues to do so, as concisely as that, I don't mind it being dry as a bone. When I want an example, I try a few keys in Google and usually the Wiki has something to offer about usage.

I might buy that book too though, if I get further into this. Which I might if a very interesting package called LuaX does what I think it does. :) If I take to that, I'll be using Lua as much as I can.

One request I do have regarding the one-page manual, is that there be an easier division of those parts that deal with the underlying C stuff, and those parts that are Lua. I find it strange to have to scroll over huge chunks of info about the C details between various sections on tables and variables. Could the C related parts not be at the end, or in an appendix?