Hmm.. I'm still not (very) convinced that this is a vital thing, but.. have you considered Hamster for the build-modules-from-scratch thing?

Points: it's 100% Lua, it does make-like things but with full Lua expressability, does not require make (can do build-all just by itself). Even has autotools-like feature (try if this compiles..)

What would need to be done: more modularity to the build environment / compiler config (currently everything's within one .lua file, and only certain OSes, compilers are supported).

Think about it,  -ak