Hi

On Saturday 11 December 2004 20:45, Asko Kauppi wrote:
> should everything be "from source" or are "prebuilt binaries" a good thing.
I guess it will come to a clear "both".

While out-of-the-box source builds may be demanded and doable on
common *nixes and to some extend on windozens,
it's another story for cross-compilation or "special" embeddings.

On Saturday 11 December 2004 20:57, Adam D. Moss wrote:
> I'd choose 'straightforward' over 'standard' any day...
One-size-fits-all config tools tend to do the job only where there's not much
of a problem in the first place. Only a standard which *is* straightforward
(like a well choosen minimal set of variables) will have a (different)
working implementation for each of the different environments.

The configuration should be easily accessible to a wide range of tools,
thus not contain any language beyond very basic $(MAKE) syntax
(so we don't end up like e.g. postgres' jdbc, which requires installation
of a special ant version to build).

cheers