Actually, it is probably the best place for these libraries. And
yes, IMHO it should be separate from the VM source.

Suggesting this might be overkill but I'm getting a little
paranoid about all this "we must have all this auxiliary
code added to the core" talk. The core distribution defines
the Lua standard. In including this functionality with the
core distro you are implying that it is part of  the Lua
standard. And in doing do, your saying "this is the way
you use Lua" to the world. I just don't think it's a good
idea to define a dynamic module loading system here, or
database access, or file access. After you add this, soon
somebody will be saying - Hey lets add this .Net'esk C++
framework to the core.. Yeah! Then Lua will truly be
useful. Bah! :) Lua is very useful, to everyone and to every
use _now_.. but it won't be for long if this kind of thought
snowballs out of control. Better to draw the line now while
you still can.

These libraries work well in a separate project that includes
the console. With this your saying.. "oh, and by the way, here's
a neat project to help you learn a little bit about interfacing
the Lua VM to your application or system." or "and here's
some interface libraries a lot of people have found useful."

Ok, feel free to tear into me. :)

Regards,
Jim