How about a code rewriting tool instead that compiles your preferred syntax
into Lua source?

The major downside would be an added translation phase while the major
upsides would be speed of development, creating something that other people
would probably build translators from, and easier compatibility with future
versions of Lua since the VM is not usually backward compatible (this is a
good thing because it keeps Lua moving forward without too much baggage).

Russ