Thatcher Ulrich wrote:

On Feb 03, 2002 at 09:44 -0800, David Jeske wrote:
Some examples of items discussed on the list which might be useful
additions include:

1) Memory management optimizations for small memory for embedded use
2) More real-time Garbage collection optimizations for lowering collection pause time (as it seems Lua has been picked up among
   Game programmers)
3) code-safety features such as "require variable declarations" or
   static typing (ala unrealscript)
4) compiling Lua code into C

[...]

2 and 3 (a 'global' declaration, not static typing) are close to my
heart.

Same here, especially #2.

To that list I would add: an easy-to-use source-level debugger
(several partial solutions exist), and (don't hit me!) a module
system.

Honestly, I think a lightweight module system directly benefits my
embedding efforts, given that my embedding interests center around
game programming, which inherently involves dealing with disparate
native APIs (graphics, sound, input, networking, etc).

I could say lots more about why a module system is a good thing, but
I'll limit myself to one more point: it makes the language more
powerful, without making the core bigger.

I agree with this, but I also agree with whoever said it should probably be a separate project. I have a module/component system in my "research" engine that I rather like and which works very well. I am in the process of upgrading it to work3, and at the same time splitting it out into a standalone library. When/if I get it finished I'll mention it here, but in the meantime, if you are interested, you can see the whole project at http://www.379.com/f4/

Jason