So one thing that I think isn't actually a problem here: Lua is, first and foremost, designed for embedding. It's designed to be small and customizable. In general, building your own copy of Lua as part of your project build instead of relying on an external distribution is more or less the way you're EXPECTED to do it.

The various distributions are more about marketing and developer convenience than they are for deployment.

 I can see your point. Yet non-competing distributions could help, especially for beginners which seem to be the target of Lua. ZeroBraneStudio helps very much in this respect.

   Andrea

--
Andrea Vitali