I just stumbled on this article:

https://www.sun.ac.za/english/Lists/news/DispForm.aspx?ID=6628

I'm not completely sure, but I think that it refers to "ours" Dirk Laurie.

I didn't know him well, but from his posts on lua-l I think he was a NZ retired maths professor, so that article is probably about him.

I had some arguments with him on lua-l a couple of times, but he was an influential member nonetheless. Moreover many of his posts were food for thought.

Condolences to his family and to whoever knew him and considered him a friend.

-- Lorenzo