> It's not clear whether the generational collections are also done
> incrementally or all at once.  (This matters for interactive programs
> like games.)  That this isn't mentioned at all (no parameters for step
> size etc. apart from minor/major thresholds)

Major collections in generational mode are stop-the-world collections.
We will add a note about that.

> makes me think that I'll have to deal with random long pauses from
> major collections.

You can mostly avoid them with a large major multiplier. (You can
force a full collection manually, from time to time, when it is
ok to stop the world.) Or you can use the incremental mode, which
can be more appropriate for that kind of application.

-- Roberto