I’m still looking at it.
I saw that it had various lua version options and changed it to 5.3. BTW, I found the lua files in the app contents under bin while looking into the ‘guts’ of the app.  It is not quite macOS GUI like in that one does not have access to change fonts, font colors etc right off the menu line. I think that in my limited visit with the application, I saw that it make these preferences changes one must create or edit various *.lua files; which could be a good thing in that it forces one to learn more about lua. I for example find that much of the text is too faint for my old eyes.

So now of course, just for fun,  I am going to delete lua and ZeroBrane from my computer and then reinstall ZeroBrane and piddle with it some more.

I have been corrected and notified that this application is indeed mentioned on the website. For some reason, I seem to miss or skip that page. At the risk of being stomped on, perhaps a little comment about “recommended for beginning lua Mac users” could be included on that getting started page????