On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 3:58 PM, Glenn Travis <travplays@comcast.net> wrote:
> Howdy Russell,
> I agree that using sudo and entering a password is just like other installs via the macOS GUI. However, I was thinking that in the interest of KISS, that would be the way to go for the casual Mac terminal kinda users; simple, easy and fast, and for sure no modification of the makefile.
>
> I had modified the PATH (and it worked) before I even wrote the first email.  Heck I used make uninstall and deleted lua several times, to see what I got and would have to do. But I wanted something “easier”.
>
> With regard to my using/learning Unix I mentioned Sarwar's that I really liked and lost in Harvey in an response to nobody’s email in this thread.  Some of this stuff is so strange to a person who learned BASIC in 1976 on a HP 9830. Heck, I am wondering if I should just go ahead and get back working on Unix then go to lua and then Swift and gad I don’t think that I will live that long.

Ya, it feels like that sometimes. Unix is a lifestyle, not a month
long project (ugh, I had to slap myself for saying that it was so
cheesy).  Going "all in" is one method, but I don't have time for that
either (three kids and a Lua addiction!). It also doesn't work well on
open source projects for me because I find I need to research X, then
drill into Y and Z to figure out what X was supposed to do. The easier
thing for me is to note when I don't understand something because it
will almost always come up again. As you expand your notes, you start
seeing the connections. I don't take many notes anymore, but I used to
have lots of "how to" documents in my gdrive. I've found I fall into
cycles where I stall out on one project and move to another one.
Eventually I get back to the first project and presto, I have a new
perspective and sometimes some answers to old questions (the trick is
making sure you actually go back).  After a short 5 years of of 4-6
hours sleep per night I am now almost "capable" in Unix (although the
sleep thing is true, that was an attempt at humor).

> As mentioned above, my audience analysis if for a Mac GUI person who for whatever reason wants to obtain lua as easy as possible.

Homebrew is what you want then:

http://formulae.brew.sh/formula/lua

> Alas, SciTE is kinda hosed for Macs ($50 at that App Store), I had a lengthy discussion and he said that it was a sandbox issue. So I got a refund on that one. I sent him some advice from Apple Developers but I do not know what he did with it, but there has not been an update to it since I tried it.
Hmm... that's certainly interesting. Nothing on homebrew for Scite or
Geany either.  Geany binaries are here: http://download.geany.org/

Either way, Zerobrane is a good choice if you want to hack at Lua. It
supports other file formats now as well (I believe it uses the same
Scintilla engine as Scite an Geany). Most importantly, Paul is great
about support. (I think I'm due for a $contribution to ZeroBrane
soon).

> I think that I will take a look at ZeroBrane.
> I will have to look into that macOS being Unix certified, just what does that mean, seeing as how Darwin looks like such an odd ball, and I understand that there are things in the Unix book that will not work.  But, here is the thing, I prefer books to trying and read stuff on line.  Just too old I guess.

I like books too, but sometimes it's easier to type "man sed" into a
browser and get the details you need right away.