At this time, the $50 SciTE application for Mac is not working all that well. That being said, this is just about getting lua safely and correctly installed in the first place.
Heck the macOS included TextEdit app will work with regard to writing lua scripts, and after that it is just a matter of calling them via lua on the terminal.  I just happen to like Bbedit for lua, python etc.  Bbedit can be downloaded and used during the free demo time and then, if not purchased, reverts into a TextWrangler mode which works just fine. Vim is right there in the Mac Unix (Darwin) software via the terminal. I messed with it, but really do not care for it all that much.

I have started using Xcode for other things (C and Swift)  for the first time, and it is not all that bad, but not good for lua.