I suppose that is true for the heavy users, but not all that sure about someone who pretty much lives in GUI and only wants to learn lua. Having never used Homebrew, I do not know what that process is all about. Also, I would think that if whomever thinks that the use of sudo is dangerous changing ownership or permissions of a root owned directory path is even more so.  Therefore, I would also think that the Unix heavy types would know all that kinda stuff and simply ignore the sudo make install .