You are so right about not knowing the OS/toolset very well, and I figure that; x86_64-apple-darwin17 has a lot to do with it. I do not know why, but Darwin seems to be a collections of all sorts of unix like things; perhaps to get the macOS/ OS X GUI to work the way that they wanted it to.  At this point, it seems to me that going the install via the terminal, Apple users have to use  sudo make install to things working properly.  To be honest however, I can’t remember if I ever tried using the lua binaries route but perhaps that would explain how I ended up with version 5.1. I have the 3rd edition of Programming in Lua  in which I am finding that 5.3 appears to be very different that 5.2 which is discussed in 3rd edition.  Seeing as how the book is often over my head (I believe that the book description uses the word “programmer” which to me means experienced), I am having a debate with myself regarding spending money on the 4th edition.  The only programming experience that I have is in BASIC back in the mid 70s and that was on a HP 9830.