On Tue, Feb 27, 2018, at 7:26 AM, Glenn Travis wrote:
{snip} I have the 3rd edition of Programming in Lua  in which I am finding that 5.3 appears to be very different that 5.2 which is discussed in 3rd edition.  Seeing as how the book is often over my head (I believe that the book description uses the word “programmer” which to me means experienced), I am having a debate with myself regarding spending money on the 4th edition.  The only programming experience that I have is in BASIC back in the mid 70s and that was on a HP 9830.

The 4th edition is of course updated for 5.3, but was also reorganized and now feels more like a tutorial than the previous edition. I bought the 3rd edition a ways back, didn't spend enough time with it, then recently bought the 4th ed and was glad I did.