I think that we are saying the same thing or else I’m misunderstanding. To me, it seems that regarding macOS, one has to take steps to install things in an official place.
First Mac “unix” is very different from other flavors of unix, and yes it does tie into the GUI also.  Heck, the only unix text book that I had contained commands etc that would not work.

As I looked at things, when I used the make macos command, I got a listing of things going into the Contents directory of Xcode, why I do not know, but that did not seem to do anything at all. I then used sudo install next and the lua command line worked fine.    Therefore, at this time on macOS, it looks like using make alone does nothing for the Mac.

I deleted all things lua and started over. This time I used sudo make install which again resulted in lua working as expected.

That is why I am suggesting that the readme.html page be edited to inform Mac users to use the sudo make install command, something like:

NOTE: Mac users ‘do sudo make install’

as you suggested below.