Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:

> It was thus said that the Great Paige DePol once stated:
>> Actually, if anything, you would almost need to create some
>> sort of central registry to manage the UUIDs used by people
>> and organisations and to map UUIDs to some logical names.
>
>  Not really.  The generally used format for UUID is version 4 [1] is
> randomly generated, and it's considered unlikely that randomly generated
> UUIDs will clash (it's possible, but very unlikely).  And most modern Unix
> systems (at least Linux and Mac OS-X, both of which I tested) come with a
> command (uuidgen) that generates UUIDs.
>
>  There are other versions as well---version 1 (not generally recommended
> because of security concerns [2]) is well guarenteed to be unique since it's
> based off the time of generation, and versions 3 and 5 use various hash
> algorithms to generate UUIDs.
>
>  This really depends upon a organization (or person) consistently using the
> same UUID for each module released.
>
>  -spc
>
> [1]	RFC-4122
>
> [2]	It embeds the MAC address of the generating node inside the UUID.

After doing some reading I can see that there are both completely random
UUIDs, as well as ones that are generated from namespaces. It was more the
namespace ones I was thinking about, vs the totally random 128-bit ones.

My point about a registry was that if everyone was using UUIDs then we might
want some sort of registry so we'd know which UUID namespaces belonged to
which person or company.

I guess I just fail to see how using UUIDs instead of easy to read domain
style identifiers would make things any easier or useful is all.

~Paige