Hello Russell,

> "Faulty memory" or "bad input" is for sure the case, but I remember
> (incorrectly?) that VS Community 2017 complained when I tried to
> install it with the Desktop C++ tools. What I wonder is if Community
> allows you to open and manipulate existing projects, but removes the
> ability to create projects?

As  you  can see here, the only difference is the size of company what
can use them:

https://www.visualstudio.com/ru/vs/compare

By  buying Professional, you also get access to various extra services
(MSDN, prepaid Azure resources...):

https://www.visualstudio.com/ru/vs/pricing/?rr=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

--
Best regards,