On 04-Jan-18 17:57, KHMan wrote:
To expand: I'm just throwing out the ESP8266 way of doing things as an idea bulb. Distributing the ESP8266 toolchain (anyway I dunno if it's official) by way of a Linux VM image provides the chip customer (toolchain user, firmware writer) with an exact something, everything complete. The end user can now run the exact complete toolchain as the chip supplier.

Nothing to install or configure. Download one VM image file, set it up on say VirtualBox. Then boot up, open a terminal, and you are ready to use the complete toolchain, properly installed and set up.

Interesting. I am not sure it could work for a target Windows application, though, unless a full cross-development (Linux -> Windows) system could be built in the VM.

Hmmm... anyone on the list using WSL?

Although Microsoft just wants to be the coder's best friend these days, they still might sunset projects that do not gain traction. Kinect was the greatest gizmo in the whole wide world, yet -- sunset. Depend on Microsoft? Yeah, until dear Satya says, we need to be lean and mean, so we need to rationalize our product portfolio... :-P

Same for me. I have already been burned by Apple and Microsoft a few times: you invest time and effort and then the whole building disappears overnight.

--
  Enrico