On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 7:40 AM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Solution: Forget the C compilers. Distributions or modules should not need
>> to use a C compiler. Which leads to the age-old issue of manpower, ha ha.
>>
>> Or do it the ESP8266 way, distribute a Linux VM image with a cross-compiler
>> targeting Windows and everything for a Lua distro loaded. Solves the
>> "installing a suitable C compiler" problem.
>
> Can't you under Windows 10 just use the Windows Subsystem for Linux?
> Install everything as if you are working on a real Linux system?

I have been using there for a few months now. The exercise is to build
and run Windows executables via the standard Microsoft toolchain. GNU
tools are perfectly acceptable, but I want to understand integrating
Lua into applications via Visual Studio. VS 2017 now has cmake
projects, which are a viable option too from the sounds of it, but I
don't think that addresses linker issues.

The experiment is to run and build everything via powershell and MS
Build, but that is a ways off. It's about the journey really, I
actually forgot where I am going and why I started in the first place.
:)