I likewise learned to program in the punch-card days (in the mid-1970s though).

I also stay under 80 columns for my code today because that is about the maximum width I get on my laser printer if I just do an "lpr" of a text file on my Mac.

Conrad Cunningham

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 1:26 AM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think these magic numbers come from printer column sizes;
> normal mode:80 ch, condensed mode:132 ch.
> (for continuous form dot-matrix printers)

Older than that. In the 1960s, typewriters could do 8 inches wide
(leaving ¼in margins for the sprocket holes), giving 80 characters
at 10cpi (known as pica) but some typewriters did 96 characters
at 12cpi (known as elite). Punched cards had 80 columns.