On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 8:41 AM, Paige DePol <lual@serfnet.org> wrote:

> Back in the day, I got a nice 24-pin dot matrix printer.
> printing two source lines at a time in
> bi-directional quality mode, was not exactly quiet.

9 pins where loud, 24 pins wher a bit louder, but...

In the dawn of the 24 pin era, start of inkjets / laser we had to buy
a special 9 pin printer monster to print 6-carbon copies fanfold
documents. THAT was loud, it was theoretically capable of going up to
8 carbon copies, it had a hefty heat sink and it was mostly open as it
was hi-speed, much faster than normal 24 pin ones. We had to put it in
a noise-cancelling case in a dedicated closet.

Francisco Olarte.