dyngeccetor8 <dyngeccetor8@disroot.org> wrote:

> On 11/28/2017 06:59 AM, Dirk Laurie wrote:
>> I'll speak for myself.
>>
>> Nobody writes better code than I do, when judged the way I judge it. :-)
>>
>> I'll occasionally require some rock, but I don't cut-and-paste code.
>> [...]
>> I rewrite it so that it looks the way I would have written it. Sometimes
>> trivially, e.g. I put 'if type(x)~="number" then return end' on one line,
>> not on three; sometimes less so.
>
> Wow, good illustration. But I think current world approach prefers ability to
> use over ability to understand.
>
> So generally we are paid for require()'ring some hipster subsystem and
> implementing "hello world" in it.
>
> Probably it may be called "engineering style" (when you learn to connect
> parts right) over "scientific" (when you try to understand how and why
> part works).

Yes, the "engineering style" does seem to be the method I see being used in
a lot of places online. However, I am firmly in the "scientific style" as I
prefer to understand the hows and whys of the code wherever possible!

The benefit of the "scientific style" is that you do learn new things that
just running someone else's library wouldn't teach you. I have learned quite
a lot in my Lua hacking endeavours, and am very grateful to the Lua team for
making the language open source so I was able to have the opportunity!

~Paige