On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 3:48 PM, Dibyendu Majumdar
<mobile@majumdar.org.uk> wrote:
> On 4 July 2017 at 23:46, Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It is the viral nature of the GPL
>> that I have seen exploited by those more legally savvy than the
>> original authors of the projects.
>
> Hmm I doubt this is true. Please give a real example.

So, I need to apologize for my tirade.  I spoke with my friend Paul
and he laughed at me and called me "full of..." well you know.
Apparently it was a requirement from the Ministry of Forests (BC,
Canada) that the portal in question was to be written in GPL licensed
software to protect the ministry from companies creating vendor
lock-in (i.e. from people like me!). I had been very angry about this
for some time now and it seems I was very misinformed.

I brought the subject up at work last week and also received a good
lashing from the other developers that reminded me we are paying tens
of thousands of dollars per seat for Kiel and QNX development
licenses. Peter MacDonald also reminded me that he created his SLS
Linux distribution because he couldn't afford to buy a Unix license
for home use when he wanted to remote into work servers. Things are
different now DUE to GNU and the GPL.

So, again, I apologize. I will be sure to do more research before
leveling accusations about the GPL. I still don't trust big companies
that use it, but will attempt to do further research and avoid looking
for positive affirmation of my opinion. I think I will also try to be
a little less myopic about things that make me upset.

In Sincerity,

Russ