Hi Marc,

On 2 July 2017 at 09:12, Marc Balmer <marc@msys.ch> wrote:
> In my opinion you are making a huge mistake:  namely choosing your tools by popularity/user count rather by fitness for the task.
>
> If that was a wise thing to do, we would probably all code in visual basic for applications… ;)

It is not a question of Python being a more popular language than Lua
- I knew that when I decided to use Lua some time back. I documented
my reasons then:

http://marc.info/?l=lua-l&m=142688565919209&w=2

The issue is that since then Python has gained a solid footing in the
sector I am targeting - so much so that at my previous work place the
team were moving from R to Python for the work they did. Just as if
you were to target a game it would make sense to use Lua as the
scripting language - similarly Python is looking like the better
choice in certain domains. I had hoped to counter this by creating all
the "features" my users would need in Lua - but it has turned out this
that this is a very major undertaking in its own right, and not what I
can afford to spend time on. I am not talking here of generic
libraries ... more like these:

https://github.com/rasbt/pattern_classification/blob/master/resources/python_data_libraries.md

I also mentioned the official support for Python in GRPC, Protocol Buffers.
And finally the growing support for machine learning via PyTorch,
Tensorflow etc.

Sure all these can be done for Lua as well - and naively I had hoped I
could tackle that. But I can't.

Regards
Dibyendu