It was thus said that the Great Russell Haley once stated:

> As someone who also thought of himself as an 'Army of One' I can see
> that without massive amounts of time and resources (i.e. a financial
> backer), there is little hope to compete even in a small slice of a
> market. I believe the GPL license is largely responsible for this, as
> large companies can always pour more resources into a technology than
> you have available. Then, they simply suck up your GPL'd IP and turn
> it to their advantage. I disdain the GPL and all who toute it for this
> reason.

  The GPL, or open source in general.  Because in my experience, companies
are shying away from GPL code like you wouldn't believe---Apple doesn't
allow *any* GPL code on iOS and funded development of clang so they could
remove the one last major GPLed component on their system---GCC.  The only
program that is still GPLed on Android phones is the kernel, and that's only
because Linux is GPL2 only (not GPL2+).

  No, companies *hate* the GPL for the most part.  Companies *love* the more
"permissive" [1] like MIT or BSD, because *then* they can take your IP and
not give anything back [2].  Programmers like MIT and BSD for the exact same
reason [3].

  -spc (One more reason for companies to hate the GPL---it's user friendly [4])

[1]	Permissive for programmers; they're actually quite user hostile
	licenses in my opinion.

[2]	Actually, they do tend to give back if the company thinks they can
	get free maintainence and upgrades of the codebase and it's not
	giving away too much in the way of competative advantage.

[3]	And maybe hoping to become a large company in turn.

[4]	In that it allows the user to see how the program works (and how
	data is stored) and also fix and/or improve the program they're
	using (or perhaps hire a programmer to do the work).