Hi Rusell,

On 4 July 2017 at 23:25, Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm referring more to the IBMs, Oracles and Tata consultancies of the
> world. I have now seen two companies steam rolled because the original
> authors used FOSS underpinnings and a larger consultancy rolls in and
> just takes over the code because, well, it's GPL! I'm sure the
> situation was more complex that I have acknowledged, but I no longer
> trust the GPL. I'm really glad people want to share source code. I do
> too, but I want control over what I share.

I am afraid your understanding of GPL is perhaps incorrect. None of
the corporations like GPL. In fact the reason they don't like it is is
that it is a viral license. It requires that any combined work must
also be licensed as GPL.

The only major company that licensed something as GPL was Sun when
they released Java as GPL. This was because of the way GPL works which
meant that Sun could still rely on people wanting a commercial
license. Similar approach was taken by MySQL - before they were bought
by Sun.

I don't particularly like GPL because of its viral nature, therefore I
prefer to use other licenses such as MIT. But these other licenses are
actually ones that can be exploited more easily as they do not require
that licensee gives anything back.

Regards
Dibyendu