On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 4:20 PM, Dibyendu Majumdar
<mobile@majumdar.org.uk> wrote:
> On 4 July 2017 at 23:44, Dibyendu Majumdar <mobile@majumdar.org.uk> wrote:
>> I should add that GPL has perhaps changed the world of software ...
>> both because of its success (in Linux, GNU etc.) and also because it
>> has forced companies to go opensource but in a more liberal way. The
>> world before was very different. When I started programming I could
>> not get hold of a C compiler because I could not afford to pay.
>>

> http://www.cio.com/article/3112582/linux/linus-torvalds-says-gpl-was-defining-factor-in-linuxs-success.html

Last line in the article defines my feeling on the issue:

 "Some people love the BSD license. Some people love the proprietary
licenses. I understand that. If you want to make a program and you
want to feed your kids, it makes a lot of sense to have a proprietary
license and sell binaries. I think it makes less sense today, but I
really understand the argument. I don't want to judge. I'm just giving
my view on licensing."

Russ