[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- Subject: [ANN] MSI Installer for PUC-Lua Proof Of Concept
- From: Russell Haley <russ.haley@...>
- Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 01:22:03 -0700
Summary: I have put together a proof of concept MSI installer for PUC-Lua here:
Links and Installation:
Sources - https://github.com/RussellHaley/PUC-Lua-Installer
Demo Installer - https://github.com/RussellHaley/PUC-Lua-Installer/tree/master/PUC-Lua%20Installer/bin/Debug
So a friend of mine asked for some help getting started in Lua on Windows and it was disappointing how disjointed the process feels. So, because I'm a nerd, I grabbed Mr. joedf's binary git repository and used the files from there to generate solution files for a Windows installer. It's all very hard coded and wrong and I have no pretence about keeping the name, but I had to call it something. It even says it installs 5.3.3 and installs 5.3.4!
Please note that no small animals were harmed and no "paid for" Microsoft products were used in the making of this project. The system uses a free MSI toolset called WIX and I created the project using SharpDevelop 5.
If there is any interest in me perusing this project further, my next steps are as follows:
0.5) Work out what it will be called
1) Bundle LuaRocks in the current proof of concept
2) Create some scripts to go wget the binaries/archives/zips and assemble the paths (and what not) and run the build script.
3) Add a "install features" element that will then use Luarocks to install some base features. The idea is a "curated" list of basic tools for a novice, who could then delve into the fabulous world of LuaRocks afterwards.
4) Figure out how or where to host the "build system" and the download site (GitHub? Sorceforge? Hey, it's still a thing!). OR hand the whole thing off to someone with more desire to maintain this (Mr. Joedf ?) as it's nothing but a curiosity gone horribly wrong.
Still outstanding is what documentation to link to as well.
Either way, comments, suggestions, insults, sticks and/or stones are welcome.