On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 6:30 PM, Chris Jones <cmsj@tenshu.net> wrote:

> I just wanted to at least put some numbers behind the actual overheads, in case people are just blindly copying the style without knowing why :)

Your numbers could not stop anyone from doing anything blindly, because you did not say what exactly you measured, and how significant 0.01 s was for that. It could have been half the total execution time for all we know.

In a benchmark I just ran, I get ca 10% speed-up by caching table.insert. Not a lot, but, as said by others, could make all the difference.

Cheers,
V.