On 16 March 2017 at 16:49, Chris Jones <cmsj@tenshu.net> wrote:
> This always seems to be the argument, but is it actually valid?
>
> I just benchmarked table.insert vs a local alias, in a loop, with one
> million iterations, and the difference was 0.01s

sometimes it _is_ valid.  In SnabbSwitch, once I found a single local
variable missing had a 6% impact in the number of packets processed
per second.

of course, that was a "true" local variable, not a module-level
upvalue, but it saved one table query on a second-level loop, so it
did matter.

--
Javier