On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 06:37 Roberto Ierusalimschy <roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> Bottom line is that the plain text expectation on this list needs to die,
> and I'm done jumping through hoops to send as plain text on this list. If
> you can't read simple HTML in 2017, then you have a problem that is not my
> responsibility to fix.

Well, I can read simple HTML in 2017, but I really prefer not to. So,
in general, I tend to pay much less attention to messages in HTML.

I seldom receive messages in HTML in this list. As far as I can see,
the default for gmail is not HMTL, but HTML and plain text (as least
this is how I receive them), and my client gives preference to plain text.

-- Roberto

I'd like to point out that we've all been able to follow each other's contributions to this thread, probably without too much difficulty.

What is required for your happiness?

When Dirk puts hard returns in his paragraphs, it chops everything up in my email client. But I've become so use to having to spend a few extra parsing cycles on mentally reformatting, piercing through someone's broken English, and other accommodations that are required of our diverse contexts, that I hardly even notice.

To me, the content on this list is much more important than strict adherence to the formatting guidelines and thankfully the content is often very interesting.

Btw: in google inbox, if you reply directly to a post by clicking on the grey dots to the right of the message's title and then clicking reply, you can avoid top posting. If you instead click on the big reply button on the bottom, you can only top post.

As to HTML or not, I'm guessing that this is HTML, but I have 0 way to change that.

-Andrew