And only the basic Gmail web interface offers this option. The Inbox interface (which I prefer) does not, and neither of the corresponding Android apps do either. For example, I'm replying to this via the Inbox Android app, which offers neither the option to send as plain text nor the ability to type text below the quote (meaning that I'm forced to top-post).

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017, 4:37 PM Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know why, but my first mail to the mailing list shows up as
>> a barrel of random text on the archive page. Can anyone else read
>> it? (Hopefully this one goes through.)
>
> Do you mean this http://marc.info/?l=lua-l&m=148648946410118&w=2 ?
>
> Your message is intact as plain text at the top and as HTML at the bottom.
>
> Since you're using Gmail, you can ask for "Plain text" when sending,
> but hardly anybody does that nowadays.

I do.