On 25/08/16 10:55 PM, Sean Conner wrote:
It was thus said that the Great Tim Hume once stated:
On Thu, 25 Aug 2016, Soni L. wrote:
On 25/08/16 10:37 PM, Tim Hume wrote:
On Thu, 25 Aug 2016, Soni L. wrote:

  Heapsort assumes there is a length. Insertion sort is just bad,
nowhere >  near quicksort, and it also iterates, effectively calculating
a length.

Maybe you can describe the problem you are trying to solve with a bit
more
context? That might make it easier to provide suggestions.

Cheers,

Tim.

I wanna sort a Lua table without a concept of length.
I guess the question is why do you want to sort the table without the
concept of length? Is there some reason you don't know the length of the
table?
   My guesses?

	1) Just because ...

	2) Soni is questioning assumptions and trying to get us to think
	   outside the box using a Socratic method.

	3) Soni is upset that # doesn't honor the __index method.

	4) Soni is trolling us.

   I think the answer might be a bit of 1 and 3, but I'm not discounting 4.

How can it be 4 if it's based on the previous idea of removing the length operator and stuff? Trolls don't expand on ideas, they just post them once and don't pay attention to feedback. That makes me not a troll.

   -spc (I'm beginnign to see why Socrates said "I drank what?")