Thank you all for answering.

It has been a while since I used Terminal to “make”  software on my iMac and at the ripe old age of 70, things are starting to fade away.  However, I still prefer to use the terminal etc when doing things as much as possible, if for no other reason, than to try to keep the ‘little grey cells’ active; however; it is nice to have folks that are so friendly and willing to help an Old Sub Sailor out.

As soon as I read Peter’s answer, I had one of those “Oh, now I remember installing Gimp way back when . . .” moments.   And indeed, that was the case.
I went back into terminal and used the ‘make install’ command, deleted the change to my .profile and and off and running.

trav