On 26 May 2016 at 17:30, Dhaval Kapil <me@dhavalkapil.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 1:32 AM, Tim Caswell <tim@creationix.com> wrote:
>> In other words, it didn't move symlinks or anything global, only affected
>> environment variables for the current terminal session.  I think this is
>> possible with lua and did something similar with my home-grown lua
>> environment for travis
>> https://github.com/super-agent/travis-env/blob/master/setenv.sh
>
> Well yes, having multiple lua versions in different terminal sessions will
> be a very good idea in my opinion.

I've been toying for a while with the idea of including something like
this in LuaRocks.

I wrote a tiny script called `luarocks-shell` that launches a subshell
with all the LuaRocks variables set, and have been finding this more
convenient than the `eval $(luarocks path)` dance.

I've been using this super simplistic version locally myself for a while:
https://github.com/keplerproject/luarocks/blob/luarocks-shell/src/bin/luarocks-shell

Of course, one for general consumption would have to be more robust!
(Perhaps even bundling yours?)

Having a better out-of-the-box experience for users is needed, and I
think your project brings us closer to that goal!

Cheers,
-- Hisham