Roberto Ierusalimschy <roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> > I still think that a README with content from http://www.lua.org/tests
> > should be included in the test tarball. No harm in making it easier for
> > users to run the tests, right?
>
> Not exactly. The Lua tests have a coverage >99%. It is hard to get that
> coverage, so portability (and usability) get sacrificed to some degree.
> We prefer to avoid everybody running the tests, because in the end it
> generates more noise than signal. (That is why they are not bundled in
> the Lua tarball.)
>
> What we probably should avoid is distributing a direct link to the
> test tarball; istead, we should send a link to that page.

Apologies: I did not understand this at all. If you want my two cents,
I wouldn't necessarily avoid having a direct link to the tests. All I would
do is add the first paragraph of your mail to me—without "Not exactly.",
of course :).

In any case, sorry for unintentionally adding noise. I'll keep this in mind
for future rc candidates and releases.

One final question: is it not useful for you to get reports on even the
basic tests? Or are they too minimal to show you anything of use?

Thanks, Peter