On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 6:34 PM, Roberto Ierusalimschy <roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:

> I don't think ref couting is a viable option. It has problems with cycles and it is slow.

Cycles: my proposal was ref counting PLUS GC. This takes care of cycles. Circularly referenced objects will not have deterministic finalization.

Slow: I have something to say about the performance of ref counting, but before even going there, what I would really like to understand is whether there are any non-performance arguments against RC + GC in Lua?

Cheers,
V.