On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 5:52 PM, Roberto Ierusalimschy <roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:

> 2 - if its value is a table/userdata, its __close (or some other new name) metamethod, if present, is called.

This is good and bad. Good, because it cannot break anything. Bad, because it takes an extra effort for lib developers and may or may not be done uniformly.

The "some mark" is also somewhat bad, because the users will need to be taught a new trick.

These considerations have led me to ref counting as a viable option. I would certainly appreciate hearing your opinion about that.

Cheers,
V.