> Would it be possible to write a cross-recompiler

Possible yes but unlikely to be a good way to spend your time.
(I did try it more than once.)

As I've mentioned several times in this list, I think the way to go in
the direction of portable bytecode is to replace ldump.c and lundump.c,
which are simple C modules that clearly separate the logical structure
of precompiled chunks from its physical structure. It is quite easy to
change to suit your needs. The problem is suiting everyone's needs.

See these for instance:
and especially this one: