Il Fri, 27 Mar 2015 08:01:47 +0200 steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> scrisse:

> On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 9:41 PM, William Ahern
> <william@25thandclement.com> wrote:
> > I'm not for or against PUC Lua shipping with it's own .pc file. Although I
> > do think that because few if any package maintainers use the existing build
> > framework as-is, I would discount the effect it might bring in terms of
> > consistency.
>
> Well, precisely. It's mostly a Linux thing and I suspect the Lua team
> leaves such things to the downstream maintainers.

pkg-config is *shell* specific. I don't know where the misconception
"pkg-config = linux thingy" came from.

In the past I happily used it in OpenSolaris/OpenIndiana and on Windows
in a MinGW environment (MSYS) and I am occasionaly using it on FreeBSD
as well *in the same way* I use it on Linux.

> As Enrico says, it would be nice if Lua executables had standard names
> but again, this is policy.  Personally I don't mind finding an
> executable called 'lua' and doing capability tests in programs.

But this is why I included INTERPRETER and COMPILER in the .pc file!

Remember when you are cross-compiling you are *not* allowed to run Lua
in the build platform. Instead you can set the build pkg-config to point
to the .pc files of the host. $arch-pkg-config are usually wrappers
around the original pkg-config that set the appropriate environment.

Ciao.
--
Nicola