> There is a whole project "Heka" https://hekad.readthedocs.org/ that is for
> reading misc stats files, log outputs etc.

thanks for pointer. Did not know about it. I need to take a look, seems enough
big and more powerful than basic dummy recorders which should work 24x7
no matter what. But this project might be interesting from another angle. I need
to think about it.

The simplest, would be what libstatgrab folks are doing. A generic UNIX library
which can read Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris more or less. A library designed for
performance monitoring. Trouble with libgrabstat is that it is very experimental and
requires more testing ... , for example does not support per cpu statistics. We have
been testing it last summer.

--
Stefan Parvu <sparvu@kronometrix.org>