On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 10:21 PM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

 If I now write a program that contains a modified version
> of lom.lua under another name, must I be more righteous
> than the luaexpat rock? I.e., do I need to include a complete
> copy of that license somewhere? Or is the fact that my
> program does have lxp._COPYRIGHT good enough?

By the plain language of the luaexpat license:

"The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software."

So you have to include the full text of the license, but arguably not
the disclaimer portion, the part in all caps.

Also note that if you want to license your modifications, you have to
explicitly indicate that, including your name and what license is
applicable.

Kind of the rock bottom of Berne Convention copyright law is that all
transfers of rights must be in "writing" and must include the name of
the copyright holder who is transferring the rights. For example, a
verbal agreement and a handshake isn't enough. It has to be in
writing.

You are not obligated under the Lua expat license to license your
modifications. But if you want to, you've got to put it in writing.

Best regards,

Paul

--
[Notice not included in the above original message:  The U.S. National
message.]