> Lua 5.3.0 (beta) is now available for testing at
>
> [...]
>
> All feedback welcome. Thanks.

I haven't had time to test the code itself, but I have a few remarks
regarding the manual.

First you mention "strip option in string.dump" twice in the list of
changes from 5.2.

I see the < and > modifiers in the packing functions to change
endianness. But AFAICT there is no way to revert to native endianess
in the middle of a format. I understand it's a very specific use case
that would mix native endianness and some or both fixed endianness in
the same struct. But for the sake of completeness it might be nice to
have some way to reset any configuration to the default. For example
you could use the pipe/vertical bar character that's not in use at the
moment.

Finally there is an alignment/padding feature in this new pack/unpack
code. But the padding value used when packing is not specified. Being
able to configure the value would be a bit too much, but I think you
should at least define the value you use (if it's currently undefined)
and document it.