On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 10:53 AM, Jay Carlson <nop@nop.com> wrote:

> Strictly speaking, you're right; what really matters is making plugins and
> library users link and resolve against *some* versioned liblua.so. Letting
> symbols be unresolved means they have no version. If they're all resolved,
> you can remove -Wl,-E.
>
> I forget if /usr/bin/lua53 would interpose its copy of symbols otherwise.
> Normally the main program wins...
>
> Speaking of plugins, it might be useful for them to declare which ABI
> they're linked with. Perhaps use the symbol foo_open_lua53.

personally I'd want to do runtime linking with dlopen/dlsym and call
the symbols whatever I want -- at runtime :3  open the right lua
version by its .so filename extension.  seems a bit nicer..  symbol
versioning at compile time helps for noticing you're linking against
the wrong release, but we know we want several versions of lua_call()